Friday, June 7, 2013

Dream Job Longshot - Initial Examination and Goal

Well even though I don't seem to meet even the minimum qualifications of my dream job, I need to start by reviewing everything they are looking for. I find it likely that the creators of this job search were shooting for the moon as much as I am in attempting to apply for this job. Basically, they saw no reason not to ask for everything they thought they may possibly want – in this job market they have a good chance of getting it.

Apparently, when I discussed the job posting with my partner who has been a long time programmer for physics simulations, he saw something different in the posting. He saw that they asked for proficiency in an object-oriented language, but then named several languages that are really focused on web development, rather than applications programming. He interpreted this to mean that what they were really looking for was someone who could develop the web-side interface for other programs so that they could be used through the library's web-server, rather someone who actually created programs from the ground up.

Therefore I decided that I should write a web-page for my project. I actually did get my idea from library school where I had remembered learning about federated searching. Federated searching is the idea that you can search one term in multiple places. In a library context it is the idea of searching both the card catalog and multiple online article databases at the same time. Here I thought I would try to build a search engine that would search and retrieve results from multiple search engines at the same time.


So I have my plan and my project, now the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment